– Osram continues to transform into a leading player in the high-tech photonics industry
– Osram’s overarching photonics initiative is focused on unlocking the potential of visible and invisible light to improve the lives of consumers
Osram is unlocking the possibilities of next-generation photonics applications that are helping to shape the future, whether it’s autonomous vehicles that can “see” farther and more effectively, 3D sensing and facial recognition systems that provide greater security, or innovative horticulture lighting that improves food growth. Osram’s booth at this year’s CES will showcase its innovative technology for Automotive Lighting, LED projection, biomonitoring and biometrics.
Photonic-, or light-based applications, use the photon in the same way that electronic applications use the electron. Because light travels faster than electrons, photonics can help create technologies that are smaller and faster, as well as more energy efficient and cost effective
“Throughout our more than 110-year history, Osram has always embraced change. The ability to transform our business and constantly innovate has been key to our remarkable success and longevity,” said Stefan Kampmann, Chief Technology Officer, OSRAM Licht AG. “Today, as we turn our full attention to the photonics industry, we are proudly developing leading-edge solutions and technologies that continue to exceed expectations and improve the lives of people around the world.”
The MetroSnap concept car from the Swiss automobile manufacturer Rinspeed is part of the Osram booth (#8516, North Hall) at the CES for the first time and shows what the mobility of the future could look like. MetroSnap demonstrates what is possible with visible and invisible light from Osram
In addition, products and innovations in the following four areas await CES visitors:
• Mobility: Osram’s booth will feature the new, red eXchangeable LED lightSource (XLS) for stop, tail and rear fog lights. XLS is a standardized, easily replaceable light source that covers a variety of signal and fog applications. Rear Combination Light (RCL) technology offers a first glimpse into the future of automotive exterior lighting and shows how to use rear lighting to communicate with other drivers and pedestrians on the road. LiDAR technology makes autonomous driving safer in Rinspeed’s MetroSnap by using infrared pulse lasers to create a 3D map of the vehicle’s surroundings
. • Safety & Security: In an increasingly networked world, Osram’s photonic solutions provide security, reliability and peace of mind. VCSEL (Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser) technology enables in-cabin monitoring in Rinspeed’s MetroSnap, as well 3D sensing used for facial recognition in vehicles and mobile devices.
• Connection: Osram’s intelligent LED technology impressively demonstrates how dynamic information can be transmitted in an autonomous driving scenario. For example, Osram’s Eviyos smart LEDs are featured in MetroSnap’s headlights. These multifunctional, intelligently controllable LEDs do more than just illuminate the road. They visually display warnings or symbols on the road to other drivers and can even indicate to pedestrians that they are seen by the vehicle and it is safe to cross the road. Additionally, Osram’s cutting-edge laser, LED and infrared LED components support numerous Augmented Reality (AR) applications including eye/gaze tracking, 3D room scanning, proximity detection and display function.
• Health & Well-Being: Osram’s innovative lighting solutions place the focus on people and the environment. For instance, Osram offers a wide range of LED emitters, detectors and modules for vital sign and heart rate monitoring on smartphones and smartwatches, as well as spectroscopy applications that can instantly analyze food and provide information such as calorie content, freshness and quality to help consumers better monitor their health. What’s more, Fluence, an Osram company, is demonstrating a high-performance, horticulture top-lighting solution helping the world grow smarter.
Another highlight is the Osram Ostar Projection Power LED family, which will be launched at CES. The LED family was developed specifically for use in projectors for home cinema and office solutions and achieved outstanding brightness values.
For more information, visit: www.osram.com/CES