Written by MORNSUN POWER
With the development and updating of the modern Internet of Things (IoT), the industry has been developed towards digitization, intelligence, and integration. Under such circumstances, data communication between servers is of great importance.
Different applications require different communication methods. For example, RS485 and CAN are two common wired communication methods. Their main role is receiving an efficient transmission of signals over long distances and in environments with high electrical noise.
This article will briefly compare the characteristics of the two communication methods.
An Overview of Transceivers
CAN is a robust vehicle bus standard that allows micro-controllers and devices to communicate with each other’s applications without a host computer. It is a message-based protocol, designed originally for multiplex electrical wiring within automobiles to save on copper, but can be used in many other contexts. CAN have some distinctive characteristics.
- It has an international standard industrial field bus with reliable transmission and high real-time performance.
- The transmission distance can reach 10km, and the transmission rate can reach up to 1MHz bps.
- A single bus can connect up to 110 nodes and easily add nodes.
- It has a multi-master structure with equal nodes. The regional network is easy to set up, and the utilization rate of the bus is very high.
RS-485 is an industrial specification that defines the electrical interface and physical layer for point-to-point communication of electrical devices. The RS-485 standard allows for long cabling distances in electrically noisy environments and can support multiple devices on the same bus. Their main features are as follows.
- Electrical characteristics: Logic “1” represents the voltage difference between the two lines as +(2-6)V. Logic “0” represents the voltage difference between the two lines as -(2-6)V. The signal level ratio of the interface is lower than that of RS-232-C. Therefore it is not easy to damage the chip of the interface circuit. In addition, the level is compatible with the TTL level, which can easily connect with the TTL circuit.
- The RS-485 interface combines a balanced driver and a differential receiver, enhancing anti-noise performance. It has the capability of long transmission distance and multi-station communication. Overall, it’s the optimal serial interface.
MORNSUN Transceivers and Power Supply Solutions
The above two communication methods require the use of corresponding communication transceiver modules. Electrical engineers can benefit from choosing a reliable and experienced power supply solutions provider like MORNSUN. With over 23 years of experience in the power supply, we are confident in providing you with excellent transceivers, such as MORNSUN CAN/RS485/RS232 transceiver modules, to ensure an effective solution for your signal network design.
Two distinguished representatives of the newest MORNSUN transceiver modules include the TDA51S-41HC and the TDA51SCANHC (also known as the R5 BUS IC), two series of chip-scale packages SOIC isolated Bus transceivers. These two series feature an I/O power supply range that supports from 4.5V to 5.5V with an operating temperature range spacing between -40℃ to +125℃. The R5 BUS IC series also provides an isolation voltage of up to 5000Vrms and a CMTI up to 150kV/us. With only 5V voltage input required, these transceiver modules can offer up to 100 nodes of nanosecond CAN bus signal transmission at 1M frequency.
Contact us to discuss how the MORNSUN transceiver modules can support the success of your electrical circuit project.
For more information, please visit www.mornsun-power.com