Industry’s First USB Power Delivery Controller Supporting Both USB PD Rev. 3.0 and USB Type-C™ Authentication Rev 1.0 in a Single Package
Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE: 6723), a premier supplier of advanced semiconductor solutions, today announced its new R9J02G012 USB Power Delivery (USB PD) controller intended for use in a wide range of USB PD products employing direct current (DC) power including AC adapters, PCs, smartphones, other consumer and office equipment, and toys. The R9J02G012 is the industry’s first single package solution (Note 1) that supports both USB Power Delivery Rev. 3.0 (USB PD 3.0) and USB Type-C™ Authentication Rev 1.0, which enables device-to-device authentication. The demand for fast charging mobile devices is growing, driving increased demand for high DC power delivery (e.g. 100W). Previously, system manufacturers frequently implemented proprietary fast-charging methods using USB Micro-B connectors. However, with recent smartphone charging/battery incidents, it is critical to offer a safe ecosystem of USB PD compatible products. The USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF), an industry-leading technology consortium, has standardized the following specifications to provide open, unified and interoperable technologies to fulfill these market needs:
1) USB Type-C Rev 1.2 Specification: For simpler, easier physical connection of cables, chargers and devices
2) USB Power Delivery Rev 3.0 Specification: For higher power delivery protocols with additional performance, safety and upgradability features like PD firmware update
3) USB Type-C Authentication Rev 1.0 Specification: For device-to-device authentication allowing system manufacturers to implement additional charging policies for trusted high-power charging over USB Type-C As a long-time supporting member and a board member for USB Implementers Forum, Renesas has adopted all three standards. The new R9J02G012 is a flexible, small-package USB PD controller for USB Type-C port control on any USB PD devices. All connecting ports to these USB PD devices with the R9J02G012 will be able to electronically verify and trust its authenticity based on the certificates and public key infrastructure (PKI) defined in the USB Type-C Authentication specification. This mechanism allows system manufacturers to implement policies to examine the genuine origin of the connected PD devices such as cables and chargers before a high-power charging of (e.g., 20V at 3A) is executed.
Key features of the R9J02G012:
(1) Supports the new USB PD Rev 3.0 standard and the USB Type-C Authentication Rev 1.0 standards for device-to-device authentication
The R9J02G012 provides support for USB PD 3.0 and USB Type-C Authentication to identify genuine or counterfeit devices. Leveraging more than 30 years of experience in supplying secure microcontrollers (MCUs), Renesas has incorporated highly tamper-resistant technology and information management technology to prevent security attack attempts on MCUs. Renesas has adopted these technologies for the R9J02G012.
(2) Implements the USB PD 3.0 and USB Type-C authentication standards on a compact, single package, reducing the mounting area on the board to less than 50 percent of that from the existing Renesas device
The R9J02G012 integrates support for the USB PD 3.0 and USB Type-C Authentication standards in a single package, where previously each required a separate chip. It is available in an easy-to-mount QFN package as well as the more compact BGA package, reducing the mounting area in cables or electronic devices. The board mounting area is less than 50 percent the area required when using the existing Renesas R9A02G011.
(3) Supports PD firmware update (PDFU) in USB PD Rev 3.0 specification
The R9J02G012 also supports the Power Delivery Firmware Update (PDFU) Specification, Revision 1.0. This optional PD feature is an open standard enabling firmware updates of the device via a USB Type-C cable.
Pricing and Availability
Samples of the R9A02G012 are available from June 2017 priced at US$10.00 per unit. Mass production is scheduled to begin in the beginning of January 2018 and is expected to reach a volume of 1,000,0000 units per month in January 2019. (Pricing and availability are subject to change without notice.)
Renesas plans to expand its range of reference designs for applications such as USB Type-C power banks and mobile batteries by combining the R9J02G012 with power products from Renesas and Intersil Corporation, which was acquired by Renesas in February 2017. With the introduction of the R9J02G012, system manufacturers can easily construct a trusted power charging ecosystem of USB PD products based on the USB PD and USB Type-C Authentication standards.
Renesas will exhibit the new R9J02G012 and other USB solutions at the USB-IF booth (hall 1, booth number N0608) during Computex Taipei 2017, which will be held in Taipei, Taiwan from May 30 to June 2, 2017
Refer to the separate sheet for the main specifications of the R9J02G012.
(Note 1) As of May 30, 2017, according to Renesas research.
For more information,visit renesas.com.
Download Techmezine Android app on google play store: Download Now